SFPH: Easy-Peasy Cheese Scones

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Do you like cheese scones? Before you answer just picture a plateful of fluffy, irresistibly moist tiny scones full of your favourite cheese waiting for you on the table and the smell of baked dough all over your kitchen. Fancy one now?  Scones remind me of autumn cozy dinner chats, rainy days and they give me that fuzzy warm home feeling.

When last week I made them during one of those early autumn rainy mornings, I called my mom very proudly saying that they came out great!  My mom knows her tea and her scone, so she was pleased.

When you try this take on them you will never go back. This is a very easy and much healthier take on scones. They are not as heavy as the traditional ones would be. I used oil that replaces the butter that usually gets used to rub into the flour. By using oil you cut down on the dreaded calories and it saves you tons of time. Promise!

So if you fancy trying them, here is the full recipe:

Cheese Scones
(Adapted from Liz – GoodFood)

Ingredients:
(Makes about 12 pieces)

* 2 cups of flour
* 3 tsp of baking powder
* Large pinch salt
* 250 grams of strong cheddar cheese or any cheese you fancy
* 2 tsp of vegetable or olive oil
* ½ cup of milk (maybe a bit more depending on how it mixes)
* 1 egg

Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the cheese and mix through the flour mixture. Beat the egg and milk together in a separate bowl and add the oil. Pour the milk/egg/oil mixture into the flour mixture and using a metal spoon, mix the dough until it clumps together, but is not too dry. If too dry, splash a bit more milk in to use up the flour. Press the dough out on a flat clean floured surface until it is about 5mm thick, then fold it over on-top of itself (this gives the finished scones the natural "break" to cut open), flatten it again, using the palm of your hand. Do not use a rolling pin as it is too heavy and will prevent the scones from rising. Cut out your scones by using a round cutter (you decide on the size) or if you don't have a cutter handy use a drinking glass. Place them on a baking tray and pop them in the oven at 356°F (180°C) degrees for 15-20 minutes. Serve with a dash of butter, cheese or plain. Ta dah!

Loves, have you made scones before? Would you try this recipe? xo

P.S: Also, Nutella and blueberry French toast perfection.
P.P.S: And poached egg avocado toast - yum!

(Photos by exPress-o. Layout by Ana Degenaar - Blog Milk for exPress-o. Thank you Ana for your help with this series).

15 comments:

Lady Grey said...

Yum! They look so light & fluffy. I've actually been loking for a good savory scone recipe... so I'll have to give this one a go.
xo

Dancing Branflake said...

So easy! And goodness, they look amazing! Definitely making these- my man would love them!

Diana Mieczan said...

So happy about that, Tiffany:)

Lisa Marshall said...

Really Diane!!! I'm at work looking at these scones and planning my evening around making some. I think I'm obsessed now!!!


Love Lisa x

Liesl said...

Yummy, yummy in my tummy, must make these! :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Vanessa, I hope you will try it!

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Lisa:) You are so lovely!

Lena P Cox said...

You captured me with the fluffy and smell.
Good ole mum is pleased....
Nothing like making mum pleased and having this warm, comfy food to go with it...heaven on earth.
Very easy and health, two other of my favorite words.
Must try,thank you my sweet.

Lexi said...

Cheese AND carbs -- sounds great!
♡ Lexi @ Glitter, Inc.

Diana Mieczan said...

Lexi:)

HiLLjO said...

Oh dear, these look so wonderful! I can imagine the taste now!!!

Patricia Villamil said...

Thanks for this recipe, I will try them this weekend!

Diana Mieczan said...

Awesome, Patricia:)

Mrs Totes said...

I use this recipe often. It's so quick and easy. I don't use quite as much cheese, I add chilli flakes and lots of freshly ground pepper as well, and my oven has to be at 400F to get them to bake in 20 minutes. Anyway, they're a great treat that our whole family loves. Thanks for posting.

Diana Mieczan said...

Mrs Totes, awww..I'm so happy about that!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk