Five ways to care for yourself when you’re too busy!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The last couple of months have been busy to say the least, how was it for you? I’ve been having that awful feeling of constantly catching up with myself and getting everything sorted. Well, as my friend Josh says that is the life of a freelancer. So when a few weeks ago I spotted Marthe's guide to '55 gentle ways to take care of yourself when you are busy' I’ve decided to try a few to see if they would work on me and help me manage the busy times better.

The list is made of simple little adjustments that are pretty common sense but when you're busy, you don’t remember to go with what’s easiest and most convenient till you actually think about it. So, after reading through the whole list I decided to fit 5 of her points into my every day life and it worked. I love how they changed my perspective on things like piled up laundry that made me feel guilty, breathing (yup, you would be surprised how many of us don’t do that enough) and making that crucial time off for walks or exercise.

Here are the five tips I adore right now:

* Listen to music. Your favourite tunes will boost your mood and keep you happy, no matter how tired you are.

* Wear your pretty clothes. If you are a freelancer, you probably know that you spend most of your days in tees and jeans, right? Here is something cool - be busy in style! If you dress nicely, chances are you’ll feel better too. All it takes is 5 minutes in the morning, and with your most powerful, wonderful and pretty clothes on, you’ll feel like a million bucks for the rest of the day. My weapons of choice: red lipstick, curled lashes, pulled back bun and a stylish yet comfy dress. Always does the trick.

* Breathe. When stress builds up, take five seconds off and just breathe really deep.

* Eat fresh and healthy even though you’re craving fatty and comforting. You will feel much better for longer. (Nuts are a great snack at the desk and soups are great for lunch).

* Light a candle while working. Candles have a relaxing effect, especially gently scented ones, they make the desk feel cozy even in 100 degrees weather :)
 
Another thing I’ve learned from my mom is that the best way to keep it together during busy times is walking everywhere as it gives you that alone time when you can just think stuff through and have some me-time:)

Lovelies, how do you deal with busy times? What are your go-to tricks? Would you use any of the above? Do tell! xoxo

P.S: And here is another brilliant article on being busy!
P.P.S: Plus, 30 minutes to yourself  in silence project.

(via Ashley. Photos by Mirjan and via Shelby Elsbree, Carissa Gallo)

23 comments:

HiLLjO said...

I MUST meditate or yoga everyday for at least 10 minutes and take a 10 minute walk.

holtkamp said...

these are great tips! if i'm stressed out i try to get to bed even 10 minutes earlier and even those few minutes help!

Stephanie said...

These are all really great tips!! When I'm feeling overwhelmed (which is a lot lately, my schedule has been packed all summer, and this fall isn't looking like it's any different!), I try to make it a point to reserve a half hour for reading in bed before I go to sleep. I always sleep so much better when I give myself that time to unwind and focus on something other than work or my busy schedule. :-)

ElsaD said...

Great subject! I think your mum's advise is pretty right on. Those alone-time moments give me so much energy...I had a very interesting talk with a friend about this, actually. We came to realize that the worst part is not to have a lot of work (busy is good, especially these days). The problem is the stress, negative work environment...I personally swear by Bach flowers and Ayurveda massages. Those things help me BIG time when I feel SO overwhelmed. XOXO

Lena P Cox said...

I would use all the above....
for me it's soft tunes...including the harp.
The harp just plucks tranqual
and the candle as you above stated...
clothing sets the mood....
I don't put on TV almost never...
only for a movie...
news and drama are not refreshing.
into a magazine, such as Coastal Living...it puts me there without leaving home.
I have many comfy spots in my home.
and last photography, gets me to focus on beauty, not clothes.
Yes I start the towels, etc. and then walk away and forget it till I need it, lol

Dancing Branflake said...

I do love these tips, especially the eating healthy one. And breathing deeply is probably the most effective yet underrated thing I should be doing. Thanks for this!

Diana Mieczan said...

HiLLjO, meditation is so good. I am still working on that:)

Diana Mieczan said...

holtkamp, very true. Bed-time is so important and those extra few minutes are very needed sometimes.

Diana Mieczan said...

Stephanie, I love reading in bed as well. There is something so relaxing about it, isn't there? (Plus fresh sheets)

Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) said...

Gooooooood grief almighty, YES. I needed to read this post today.

AND now I'm dying to cut bangs.

Diana Mieczan said...

I totally agree - busy is good as long as we manage the stress. Spot on, Elsa! Also, I heard so many good things about Bach flowers. Need to try their products now:)

Chapstick Fanatic said...

This is great! I start traveling for work on Sunday and will really only be home on Friday nights and Saturdays (just enough time for laundry) for the next two months. I will keep these tips in mind.

http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

Amber said...

the candle trick really works. Its so nice and relaxing to work by a sweetly scented candle.

Kate said...

Such great tips! I agree that it is simple advice, but also the first thing you forget when life gets hectic.

Alexa said...

This is an amazing list. I have been swimming in business lately. And these are great ideas to getting yourself back on track.

Amanda said...

These are awesome tips! My go-to trick is to take my dog for a walk and tell him my problems - I think it's just the act of getting it all out loud that can make it feel better (plus, he's a good listener :) )!

Diana Mieczan said...

Chapstick Fanatic, sounds like you will have tons of traveling in the next two months!

Diana Mieczan said...

Hmm Amber, SO true!

Diana Mieczan said...

Very true, Kate!

Diana Mieczan said...

Amanda, that is the sweetest comment ever! Long walks with our beloved pets are the best, aren't they?

Loveercp said...

the candle trick really works. Its so nice and relaxing to work by a sweetly scented candle.

Diana Mieczan said...

So true, Loveercp:)

Kingyepp said...

holtkamp, very true. Bed-time is so important and those extra few minutes are very needed sometimes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk