Picking The Right Hills?

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The other day I stumbled upon this great read that I can’t get out of my head so I thought I’d share it with you today.

In this piece, Seth Godin talks about the craft of picking the right path in your career/work. He compares 'it' to an endless series of difficult but achievable hills that are sometimes overwhelming, for some we are simply too foolish or not ready yet and there are those that challenge us most, but oh boy, they feel great when we achieve them.

It’s a concept that I really respond to as I am more of the visual type - if that makes sense. I’m all about the process and enjoying each step as it comes and those two quotes below totally sum up the way I approach that little thing called career and a great reminder for those low moments we all have sometimes. It’s good to fail sometimes, we are all human - there is always a new day, new hill to climb and a new path to be discovered. Let’s not forget that!

'Lightning rarely strikes. Instead, achievement is often the result of stepwise progress, of doing something increasingly difficult until you get the result you seek.'

'The craft of your career comes in picking the right hills. Hills just challenging enough that you can barely make it over. A series of hills becomes a mountain, and a series of mountains is a career.'

Lovelies, are you happy with your work-path right now? Thinking about doing something different, something new? What would be your dream career? Btw: What do you do now? xo

P.P.S: Plus, the 10,000 hours to become successful at any given task.

(via Remnants. Photos: Woody Allen via Victoria Hannan and the breathtaking Tuscany by Philipp Klinger, the graphic design by Sharon)


Vintage Market Place said...

I decided to take a break from my money making job and I am working instead on my Job as a Mother.
I could not be loving life more right now. It was a big decision to make to step away from making my own money but my child is way more important than money any day.

Anonymous said...

I often get caught up in the rush instead of enjoying the steps. This will remind me that it's not only about getting what you want but growing into it with every single step that you enjoyed. Such brilliant and thought provoking topic Diana. Jill

ps: I'm a fabric designer.

Dancing Branflake said...

I love that so much! Viewing goals in terms of hills... I feel like my hill is a mountain. My dream career? Writer.

Jennifer said...

Very interesting post. This would be great for my daughter, now in college. It's so difficult to know which path to take. I'm finally doing what I love (painting)...still waiting to be "discovered" though. HaHa! But really, it took a long time to get to this point in my life. Lots of very steep hills, but I feel like I'm on the other side now and enjoying the ride! Thanks so much for your encouragement through the last 3 years, Diana!:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww...Amy, I bet you are having the best time with your adorable cutie. He is such an awesome boy and I can't stop thinking about that leaf photo he took:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, fabric designer sounds really creative and beautiful. Btw: so happy that you enjoyed the post.

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany, you would be an amazing writer!

Diana Mieczan said...

Jennifer, your comment makes my heart smile:) I love this line: "I feel like I'm on the other side now and enjoying the ride" Btw: my pleasure. Glad that you enjoy it all:) (you made my day)

ElsaD said...

That's a very interesting/powerful metaphore. Thanks for sahring this. I would like to become a full time writer and publisher! XOXO

Rikki said...

I loved this post. It definitely struck a chord. I am done with school and have finished grad. school to be a teacher but I'm having a really hard time passing the cset test to actually become a teacher. I sub teach and enjoy it but the test is taking its toll. I like the idea of teaching but I feel as though my life goals are changing and perhaps its time to rethink my mountain :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Rikki, I think its only normal to change our mind at times and go with something new or different that feel right:) Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk