exPress-o Originals: Hummus 2 Ways!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

This series is all about the pleasure of cooking easy and (mostly) healthy food. I found out lately that being in a kitchen and mixing different flavours has an almost meditative feel to it and it became one of my "me times" when I put some Miles Davis on, kick off my shoes (I love cooking barefoot) and whip something up that I am in the mood for that day.

Having said that, last week I made hummus. Do you like hummus? Well, Balazs and I love it and eat it weekly with pickles, hot sauce and fried eggs or just plain with a roasted garlic pita.

It’s one of the easiest recipes in the world but it can take a while to make it if you opt for dried chickpeas (aka harder way) but so rewarding in the end.

Also, it's a wonderful and a very thoughtful 'pop-by' gift as there is always plenty to share! I usually pack it in a little plastic container with a sweet bon appétit tiny note and include a few pitas in a paper bag when I am on my way to visit a friend for a quick chat.

Homemade Hummus 2 ways
(Serves 2-3 bigger bowls)

* 50 grams of dried chickpeas or canned (it’s up to you)
* ¼ cup of cooking liquid or the canned one
* Lemon juice of half of lemon
* 2 tablespoons of olive oil
* 2 tablespoons of Tahini
* 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
* Sea salt and pepper to taste

* Sun-dried tomatoes
* Sweet red paprika powder
* Olive oil for the drizzle
* Chopped nuts

If you are using dry chickpeas, please follow the first step as well:

1. First, wash the chickpeas until the water is clear. Place them in a cooking pan full of cold water over night (10 to 15 hours)  with 1 tablespoon of baking soda or till the chickpeas feel soft. Next morning rewash them again and put them back in a pot full of cold water. Cook it until the grains are very easily smashed when pressed between two fingers - around 2 hours. When they are soft and ready, pour the water out while leaving a bit of it for blending.

2. Next, put your (dried cooked chickpeas or the canned ones) into a food processor with the lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, the cooking water, pepper and salt. Blend till the texture is smooth and creamy. Keep on tasting and adding spices while blending to your liking.

3. After you achieve the desired texture, transfer your ready hummus to two bowls and garnish them. One with chopped dried tomatoes and nuts. The second one with a spoon of olive oil and red sweet paprika. Ta dah!

Lovelies, any great recipes you tried this week? Fancy some hummus? xo

P.S: Also, rucola - avocado pesto and poached egg sandwich.
P.P.S: Plus a few more of my beloved recipes.

(Photos by exPress-o. Layout by Ana Degenaar - Blog Milk for exPress-o. Thank you Ana for your help with this series).


Anonymous said...

I haven't had hummus for ages. Must change that tonight. Diana your photos are beautiful. Cheers, Grace

Amanda said...

I think I could eat hummus on almost anything! My good friend owns a restaurant here in town and makes an amazing lima bean hummus, which I've been trying to perfect for a year now!

Gina said...

oh I love hummus! such a fantastic basic recipe here. I also love to use greek yogurt instead of tahini for a lower fat, creamy version.

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..thank you, Grace! I really enjoy taking those photographs and I am so glad that you like them.

Diana Mieczan said...

Amanda, I so want the recipe now:) It sounds totally scrumptious!

Diana Mieczan said...

Good idea, Gina!

HiLLjO said...

I do like hummus and I love how you cook barefoot. I might try to make this!

Aurelia said...

Oh I love hummus! I must make it these days......

Yesterday I tried quinoa pizza bites. Really delicious!
Oh and tomorrow I will bake a chocolate-lime birthday cake for my mom!


Stephanie said...

I just made hummus a couple of weeks ago! I used fresh herbs from the garden, so yummy. :-)

Annie said...

I'm SUCH a big fan of hummus. This post makes me hungry :) Hope you're having a great day sweetie!!

Dancing Branflake said...

It's such a great idea as a gift! So smart! And I love cooking with some jazz... except with socks on so I can slide around.

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany, oh yes...sliding around the kitchen in socks is so much fun!

Diana Mieczan said...

Annie, yay! And Stephanie, that sounds so lovely:)

Diana Mieczan said...

HiLLjO, you are a sweetheart!

Diana Mieczan said...

Awww how sweet, Aurelia! That cake sounds scrumptious! Happy birthday to your mom. xoxo

little t said...

Really love this new series Diana- keep cookin'!

Diana Mieczan said...

Awww..thank you, little t:) Your comment made my day!

Lena P Cox said...

adore hummus....I have my Tahini and garlic very near...
We have a Greek Restuarant that makes the best and they sell all the ingredient right next door. So it's convenient.
This pics are making me want some, sweet

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk