exPress-o Originals: Honey Roasted Apricots (+ ice cream)

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

One of the things I find utterly irresistible about summer is fresh seasonal fruit, don't you? For instance, apricots remind me of my grandma’s summer house and to be exact her perfume which always smelled like freshly picked apricots mixed with vanilla. So last week after Balazs got tons of apricots from the market, I wanted to recreate that feeling in my own kitchen and try a new twist on my sentimental fruit. Everyone talks about roasted peaches but believe me, although apricots are smaller, they are great for roasting as well.

They take about 5 minutes to make and if you serve them right away with a scoop of ice cream you will experience the most delightful flavour collision, ever! Hot, sweet and a bit sour fruit mixed with ice cream will make this dish irresistible, promise:)

Here is the full recipe if you fancy giving it a go this week:

Honey Roasted Apricots
(serves 2)

* 15 apricots
* 2 tablespoons honey
* half vanilla bean
* 1 teaspoon brown sugar
* 10 grams unsalted butter

Extras:
* your favourite ice cream

Place a dab of butter in your skillet pan and let the butter heat up. In the meantime, in a little bowl mix together honey, brown sugar and vanilla bean. Cut the fruits in half and remove the stones. Next, place the cut apricots side up in the preheated pan. Then, place a tiny dab of unsalted butter in a few fruit cavities and sprinkle the whole pan with the honey mixture. On high heat cook the fruit for about 4 minutes (2 minutes each side). The trick is not to over-cook it as you want your fruit to be soft but not mushy. As soon as your apricots look ready, transfer them into deep plates and add a scoop of your favourite ice cream on top. Ta dah!

Lovelies, what's your favourite summer fruit? Would you try this recipe? Any fun fruit related childhood memories/stories you'd like to share? xo

P.S: Also, my new favourite pesto and a few more recipes I love.
P.P.S: Plus, baked brie bites.

(Photos by exPress-o. Layout by Ana Degenaar - Blog Milk for exPress-o. Thank you Ana for your help with this series).

13 comments:

Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

i happen to have a huge garden - so fresh veggies are always an abundance at my house - i have some fruit trees and bushes - but they don't see to produce that well (well except my Pear tree)

*Much Bliss*
Erika~Tiptoe Butterfly~

HiLLjO said...

YUM! I would totally try this!

ElsaD said...

Looks so yummy and the presentation is impecable! Thanks for sharing! xoxo

Diana Mieczan said...

How lucky, Erika! I wish I had a little garden...awww..that sounds so wonderful.

Diana Mieczan said...

HiLLjO, you are the best!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Muah, Elsa:)

tutusandtea said...

well this just looks delicious!!! How thankful I am to have picked up some stone fruit favorites on my way home from the theater today... guess what I'm having for dessert...? :)))

Just Another Shopaholic said...

This looks so delicious. I love apricots!

Annie said...

Yes, please! YUM!!

Wendy said...

This looks delicious, Diana!

Diana Mieczan said...

Fantastic, tutusandtea:)

Punctuation Mark said...

I love the whole recipe... YUM!

Diana Mieczan said...

Punctuation Mark, thank you:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk