Boring is good!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Yesterday while on the way to a meeting, I read an article that seemingly talked about all things relationships but there was one part that totally stayed with me for the rest of the day.

Nowadays, everyone wants and strives for more in all areas of life. It appears that as soon as we achieve our goal, the next one creeps by unexpectedly which then becomes that all important new thing that is certain to make us the happiest we can be. As a result, our life becomes one neverending climb.

I am the first one to admit, that it’s not an alien feeling for me either. I can honestly say that there were times when I fought for things, no matter how rocky the road was that lead me there, and all along I told myself it would be all worth it in the end. Needless to say, sometimes it wasn’t. I often ask myself why couldn't I just enjoy the journey, or why was I in such a rush to get there?

...”We are programmed to always want more but, as a result, we’re often left feeling inadequate or dissatisfied...But really, we should be treasuring what we have. Let’s just realize how good the ’boring’ is. You are lucky that life is so predictable. Most people would love to be that comfortable…”

It’s something my Balazs lives by. I totally admire him for it and for the past few years, I have relentlessly tried to put myself in that mind-set. The concept of 'boring is good' doesn’t mean that you’re not ambitious or successful, it simply means that chasing goals won't necessarily bring you happiness.

I choose to believe that life is wonderful no matter how much or how little we have, how exciting or how boring it is - as long as we are in peace with what we have. Often it's the most insignificant things that make us the happiest - like evenings on the balcony in your old tee with a glass of wine, a late night stroll with the guy you adore, morning sleepy kisses, that twinkle in the eye he has when he looks at you, or the job that you love so much no matter how much it pays - so let’s embrace the boring, I say! :)

Lovelies, what do you think? Do you agree or disagree? Let’s chat! xoxo

P.P.S: Plus, how to stay happily married or have a great ralationship!

(Photos by/via Historiful, Robyn Thompson and Max Wanger via Alison)

24 comments:

HiLLjO said...

Without the boring, how would we know excitement?

Love it, dear. Agree.

PS: Made fried avocadoes finally. OMG.

Hannah said...

I agree. I think there is much to be said for the simple life. :)

Vintage Market Place said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana Mieczan said...

So true, HiLLjO and I am so happy that you made fried avocadoes. Did you like them?

Morgan @ xoxo, me said...

I could not love this anymore. It's so true and such a great reminder. Society is constantly telling us that we should be striving for more and to be better. It brings you so much more peac to just enjoy what you have and cherish every moment. Thank you so much for this. I really needed it today!

Anonymous said...

Diana as Morgan said, this is exactly what I needed to read today. Sometimes I feel like life gets in the way of everything what's important. There are always 10000 tasts to finish, calls to take, promotions to consider but in the end of the day when I get home, the only think I truly care about is my little family and the simple moments we share together. That is for free. I sometime ask myself why do I need all that stuff or that power. Thank you. Jill

Monica | Hola!design said...

Beautifully written, D. I needed to read this today!
P.S. I love Jill's comment.

The F Girl said...

Finding the beauty in every day life. Something I try to do, but what I seem to forget just as often as well. Thanks for reminding me. We never can have enough reminders of that!

Amber said...

I dont think its necessarily boring is good but rather enjoying the everyday moments that we take for granted.

Eimear OReilly said...

totally agree, im never satisfied these days and its noway to live! i do try to cherish what i do have though! great post! if you get a sec i'd love to know what you think of my latest post!

Eimear x

http://supposeishouldblog.blogspot.ie

ElsaD said...

This is very interesting! I learned to value and invest on quiet. You may leave things in the way, but it's always worth it...:)

Tish said...

It's this idea alone that inspired me to start my Meaning in the Meager Monday posts! Love!

Lena P Cox said...

100% agree
And I'm already there
People who say they are bored haven't tried relaxing.
Contentment is freeing.

HiLLjO said...

Ohh the avocadoes were SO good fried! I posted my recipe up today!

tutusandtea said...

Diana, I just love this post! It is so true and awakening, in a way... I feel quick to get 'restless' with what I have, always looking for ways to progress, move on, approach the next hurtle...but it is so important to acknowledge how special the journeys of life are, especially since they make up the 90%! Thank you for the lovely reminder :)

That's Not My Age said...

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about this! We agreed that kids (and adults)are over-stimulated with technology or whatever, and we need to go back to being bored like in the olden days!

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohhh Morgan, so well said: "It brings you so much more peace to just enjoy what you have and cherish every moment".

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, you are spot on. The bit about your little family and spending time together, melts my heart:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Monica and Eimear, I will make sure to check it out today:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Elsa, I love what you said: "You may leave things in the way, but it's always worth it"

Diana Mieczan said...

HiLLjO, fantastic!!! And tutusandtea, I was reading your comment and thinking how true it is to most of us nowadays. Thanks so much for this great conversation.

Diana Mieczan said...

Thank you SO much for all those amazing comments!!! You all are the best.

Punctuation Mark said...

I am like you... I keep on chasing my very own version of the American Dream and when I moved to CR it was devastating because I feel that it has taken me so far from my dream.

Now with this new job I feel I'm sort of back on track... But this time I will enjoy the process of achieving my dream!

Davetjoj said...

Finding the beauty in every day life. Something I try to do, but what I seem to forget just as often as well. Thanks for reminding me. We never can have enough reminders of that!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk