The SFPH: Homemade Blueberry Sorbet

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Did you score some fresh blueberries this season already? Balazs and I've been taking countless trips to the market in hunt for them and we have been enjoying a few different takes on them so far. Our favourite is a simple blueberry sorbet that I make each summer. It's super healthy as it's pretty much raw fruit, honey, a bit of corn syrup for the creamy consistence and a tiny amount of lemon juice for refreshment. I tell you, we barely could wait till it got cold enough before the spoons went into action!

Tip: I suggest not skipping on the sieving step. It will make the sorbet beautifully creamy and smooth - promise.

 Here is the recipe if you fancy giving it a go:

Homemade Blueberry Sorbet
* 5 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed, stems removed and discarded
* 1/3 cup honey
* 2 Tbsp corn syrup
* 1 teaspoon lemon zest
* 1 Tbsp lemon juice
* Fresh blueberries for garnish

Place the blueberries, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice, and corn syrup in a large bowl. Stir and mash with a potato masher. Put the mashed blueberries into a blender and blend for a couple of minutes until smooth. Next, place a sieve over a large bowl and working in batches, press the mixture through the sieve, using a rubber spatula or a spoon. This will catch the tougher and larger pieces of lemon and blueberry peel. Finally, chill the mixture in a container for at least 2 hours in the fridge before eating. Ta dah!

Lovelies, which berries are your favourite? (I am torn between blueberries and raspberries). xo

P.S: Also, peachy popsicles, ice(cube) coffee and this awesome lolly.

(Photos by exPress-o. Layout by Ana Degenaar - Blog Milk for exPress-o. Thank you Ana for your help with this series).

13 comments:

Heba said...

that looks so delicious

http://girlynote.blogspot.com

Dancing Branflake said...

Such a yummy and healthy summer treat! I am loving these posts with you and Ana. A dynamic duo!

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany, aww..thanks:) So sweet of you to say!

ElsaD said...

Looks awesome and so healthy! I love all berries. I usually do 'power shakes' in the morning with those, mixed with almond milk and protein powders. :) xoxo

MrJeffery said...

yum... looks so good!

Diana Mieczan said...

Power shakes sound scrumptious, Elsa:) My Balazs loves them too.

Alexa said...

Yum. I love how fresh it looks. Blueberries are one of my favs.

Alexa said...

Yum. I love how fresh it looks. Blueberries are one of my favs.

HiLLjO said...

MMmm blueberry.
I have been making fruit puree with similar ingredients to eat with our greek yogurt and this looks delish. Haven't made blueberry yet, but now I just might. I might try to make my purees into sorbet, too!

Antoinettes Adventures said...

Wow! I will definitely try this when I move in with my roommates. Thanks soooo much for the recipe!

Inés said...

Blueberries are not my favorite berries, so far, BUT, this looks so fresh and delicious...I'm going for it with strawberries and then I'll teel you how it tastes!

Big hugs, Diana!
Inés

SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

Diana Mieczan said...

HiLLjO, you totally should! Sounds delicious:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Fantastic, Inés! Strawberries should work very well with this recipe :) Psst: Let me know how it truned out, please.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk