Nifty Fresh Flower Trick

Thursday, July 19, 2012

The other morning, while gossiping about the new postman with my lovely old lady next door I learned a cool little trick on how to keep fresh flowers alive for longer. I had no clue that sugar and vinegar are that powerful, but since I started to add them to my vases, they keep fresh for much longer.

Here is the tip: in about 1 litre of water dissolve 3 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vinegar and fill the vase with the mixture. Ta dah! Supposedly, the sugar nourishes the plants and the vinegar prevents bacteria growth. (Bonus: you can’t smell the vinegar). Who would have thought? xo

P.S: Plus, more flower power including those beauties with a twist.

(Photos of the swoonworthy peonies by Jennifer Hagler - A Merry Mishap)

13 comments:

Hannah said...

What a nifty tip!!! I'll be sure to try this. I love having fresh flowers in the home, but they never seem to last long enough. Thanks for this!

That's Not My Age said...

Ooh top tip. I love peonies!

Mal said...

I had heard the sugar tip before but never about vinegar, how great! I'll definitely be trying it out soon

Mal @ The Chic Geek

Lainey-Paney said...

Wow, thanks for the tip!

Style, She Wrote said...

Clever idea! Thanks for sharing! xo style, she wrote

Dancing Branflake said...

Such a great tip. I swear vinegar is the wonder fluid. It does everything!

Vintage Market Place said...

ooo good to know!
My flowers have been wilting fast in this heat.
Amy

iamyoursforever said...

nice xx :))


Saving Thousands of People Hundreds of Dollars a Month

http://www.saversclub.us/

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

Great tip!

Diana Mieczan said...

Hannah, with this trick they will last much much longer, promise:)

Diana Mieczan said...

That's Not My Age, peonies are my favourite flowers:)

Diana Mieczan said...

So true, Tiffany!

little t said...

An aspirin works too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk