Are you fully present in the moment?

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Balazs and I have this ongoing conversation about being fully present in the moment. Whenever we take a few days off to travel or simply treat ourselves to a little staycation, I tend to feel guilty for not being fully relaxed - if that makes sense. Also, it seems that many people I talk to tend to say that when they take a week off for a vacation, they fall into "the 7 day trap" - 3 days of being impatient and trying to relax, 2 days of actually being relaxed and 2 days of dreading going back to the 'normal schedule'. Even last week, when my friend Saki was here visiting, I noticed that both of us were constantly checking our work mail instead of enjoying the sunshine. She even said that the worse part about taking the time off is going back to over 2000 unread emails.

So when last night Balazs sent me Matt's article, it totally hit the spot. The thing that stuck with me is when Matt wrote: "Sometimes with breaks, less can feel like more. Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, seem more relaxing than a full week’s vacation. Why? It helps that on national holidays we are often getting a free day along with a lot of other people we work with. Less guilt. Less anxiety. But we also tend not to prepare for three days off with the same manic intensity as we do when preparing for a week off."

It seems spot on, doesn’t it? Many of us feel left out of the busyness while we are away and our brain can’t process that. Also, there is always the feeling of what did I forget to do, isn’t there?

It’s a great read over a cuppa but in the meantime, I‘d love to ask your thoughts on the subject. Are we really too busy nowadays to fully relax? How do you switch off while on vacation or during the weekend? Do you find it hard? Do you check work emails or catch up on work stuff during your time off? xo

P.S: Also, a few little moments!

(Photos via Blissful, These Tings Take Time)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this post, its like you are talking about me. I am really stressed when I am on a holiday and I never can fully switch off. I keep on thinking about all the little things I should do when I get back or about the things what might happen when I am away. Crazy, isn't it? Btw: Wish I could be the girl in the top photo. Love, Amy

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Ahhh, I think we all have this problem. I was just talking to my husband about why we love our long weekends in Coronado so much and how can we bring some of that relaxation home with us. We are going to work on it.

Dancing Branflake said...

I often feel like I'm not in the present moment, that I'm constantly thinking about the future. BUT, I don't feel particularly stressed as my life is fairly casual and I have time to do the things I want to do. I know I'm blessed in that way. Beautiful post, Diana!

Patricia Villamil said...

great read, will pass it along to all my wired friends, they are constantly clicked on, and can't fully relax, ever! I loved the NYtimes article too!

J. Beaudet said...

My sister and I are always reminding each other to "live in the moment" but it's not always easy. I do think everyone is too busy to fully relax. I try not to answer emails when on vacation but I find if I just read a few a day it helps. I also think vacations need to be longer, like at least two weeks. So now I want to go on vacation! Enjoy the rest of your week!
Jenxoxo

HiLLjO said...

"If you're worrying about the future or feeling regret about the past, you're not living in the moment."

Good luck to you on getting this down pat, Diana. It makes me incredibly happy to be able to be present.

Ana Degenaar said...

I'm so guilty of not enjoying the moment. I'm one of those who works everywhere they go, in hospitals, buses, airplanes... I am constantly working or worrying about what i should be doing next instead of seizing the moment. UGH! I hate that. This post is so encouraging, I need change and I need it yesterday :)

Channing in The City said...

I agree completely. It's hard (for me) to even relax at home. I'm always so plugged in and attached to my phone but it is definitely something that I am working on.

Good post :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, not crazy at all. I totally know what you mean. My brain doesn't switch off as well. Btw: I wish I could be in that photo too. Bliss!

Diana Mieczan said...

Jeanette, so glad that it's not just me and Tiffany, awww..glad that you like it!

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Patricia and Jen, YES! Two weeks of total bliss sounds amazing:)

Behold the Metatron said...

I need to read this! I am always stressed but I think I create it... mostly.

kristen
www.beholdthemetatron.com

Vintage Market Place said...

So TRUE!!
It is the hardest thing for me to relax, especially now as a mom.
I am pumped up on coffee, constantly have a gadget beeping or alerting me to someone trying to contact me.
And a vacation is always filled with the anxiety of going back to normal life. Its never long enough, right?
Maybe I need to stop the coffee and throw out the iphone and laptop...wait what, thats just crazy talk. ;)
Amy

Diana Mieczan said...

I love what you said Ana: "I need change and I need it yesterday"

Diana Mieczan said...

Kristen, that is such a good point....

Diana Mieczan said...

Hahah, Amy!

Wendy said...

I can totally relate to this. There is nothing worse than needing a vacation when you get back from your vacation (if that makes sense). And, yes, I constantly check emails... But the worst is when I get texts from co-workers. It's like- I want to completely shut down but I fear everything will fall apart if I do. Usually, I remedy this with a very big fruity umbrella drink. ;)

Looking forward to reading Matt's article.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk