Skype Family Reunions

Tuesday, June 19, 2012


Many families nowadays, including mine are spread all over the world. It’s incredibly hard to gather everyone together especially because of the time difference or variety of schedules. So when I spotted John Clang's project I almost fell of my chair with excitement.

John as an expat himself living in NYC and having most of his family in Singapore came out with a brilliant idea of bringing all the people he loves together using modern technology - Skype and a photo camera.

To keep to Singaporean regular family portrait-taking-tradition, John first wanted to try out his idea on his own family. He asked them to call him on Skype and he projected their image on a wall of his NYC flat. He then posed with the family as if they were in the same room with him and that is how he captured the combined image - a virtual family portrait. No tricks at all just a precious memory to keep forever!

Since his successful try-out, John has been traveling the world shooting family photos via Skype video calls.

Isn’t that awesome? Lovelies, I’d love to know about your family? Do they all live close by or are they located all over the world? How many sisters or brothers do you have? (I have a seven years older brother and Balazs has a four years younger brother). You?

P.S: Remember this cool family photo?
P.P.S: And here are my parents when they were younger.

(Thanks Galit, via designboom)

18 comments:

Tinacious Me said...

aww this is so touching!
~ www.Tinacious.Me ~

ElsaD said...

Darling...I'm So happy you brought up this subject. I was born and raised in Northern Spain, where my close family currently live. I've been living in Miami, FL for almost 8 years now. I cordially invite you to read this post to get to know me better!

http://cafesocietyxxi.blogspot.com/2012/04/technology-and-social-media-paradox.html

XOXO

Morgan said...

I LOVE these photos! So fab!

HiLLjO said...

This is the BEST!!! I love this so much! Our family is spread all over too; this would be awesome at Christmas.

Natasha Fatah said...

What a wonderful idea.
At first glance, I didn't realize they weren't actually sitting together. This is really lovely.

xoxo
~Natasha Fatah~
~Natasha Fatah~

Alexa said...

Oh my gosh...the cutest idea! Love these shots!

Melissa Blake said...

This is SO cool!!! xoxo

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww I totally agree, Tina:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh, how interesting, Elsa. I am totally going to check it out right now!

Diana Mieczan said...

HiLLjO, spot on! I'd love to organize something like that for Christmas:) LOVE.

Diana Mieczan said...

Natasha, me too! Those photos are so well done:)

Hogger and Co. said...

That is so incredible...almost ghostly, which is what I thought of first. What a way to capture the distance in your living room!!
Bravo.

Kristina said...

That is such a fantastic project! loving the idea!
I am a single child and as you know currently live in Australia. My parents and both grandma's are back in Germany and I miss them dearly. It could not get much further away then Australia.... :)

Diana Mieczan said...

I totally agree with you, Smita:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohh I bet you miss them, Kristina. I miss my family a lot too:)

Mills (héron + hibou) said...

This is such a fun idea. I'll think I'll have to try it with my parents.

Diana Mieczan said...

You totally should, Mills:)

Annie said...

awww this is awesome, Diana!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk