10,000 Hours

Monday, June 4, 2012

Did you know that it takes about 10,000 to become successful at any given task? According to Malcolm Gladwell if you don’t quit before that period you’ll start feeling comfortable with the activity in hand. The cool part is that it applies to all areas of our lives, from personal to professional.

For example: For the last few years I’ve been trying to learn meditation and to be frank it’s not going as well as I wished. I get totally discouraged when I can’t switch off. So when I spotted this little fun fact a few weeks ago, I finally stopped being frustrated about my inability to switch off and started to concentrate on the technique itself. Makes sense? 

Meg calculated that if we practice something for 3 hours each day for 9 years we will be good to go :) I love the concept of ‘do what you love and stick with it’ – brilliant!

Dears, how about you? Working on mastering something? What is it? What do you think about this concept?

P.S: Also, your anti-stress hero.

(Advice via Mimi+Meg via Braid Creative. Photo: Dancers among us - Annmaria Mazzini, Macy's Herald Square via Shoko)

16 comments:

Ana Degenaar said...

I love this, Diana! I also want to put more time into getting better at the things I love.

Anonymous said...

That makes sense to me too. My husband always tells me that I want to learn things too fast and that is why I get frustrated why myself way too ofter. I'm going to write this down right now. Cheers, Grace.

Natasha Fatah said...

I absolutely agree - as a writer, the thing that improved my writing was WRITING! Lots and lots of writing, and re-writing, and re-working and editing.

Of course there are those that can do things naturally, but I totally agree with Gladwell that with enough attempts anyone can master anything. Gives me a sense of hope! :)

xoxo
~Natasha Fatah~
~Natasha Fatah~

Melissa Blake said...

I love how this takes those tasks that seem so impossible and breaks them down into manageable goals. Thanks, Diana!

Caren Richardson said...

WoW!! Such great information! Thanks for sharing!

Morgan Stone said...

This is very interesting and also great to know! It's so easy to give up quickly, but the number 10,000 really puts things into perspective. LOTS of practice is needed to make perfect :)

xoxo, me

Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

omg i have been trying to practice meditation and taking classes too - it's SOOOOOO hard for me - i still can't "do it right" - but i feel like the more and more i go to class and practice it will eventually "click"

HiLLjO said...

Keep up the meditation! Sometimes when I try to do it, I get so frustrated I just want to get up and scream "FORGET IT!" but... meditation is something you do for yourself; that helps me to keep it up.
I believe I may be very close to 10,000 hours of crocheting. VERY close. :o)

Diana Mieczan said...

Fantastic, Grace!

Diana Mieczan said...

Natasha, so true! It's all about practice.

Diana Mieczan said...

Such a good point, HiLLjO:) Meditation is truly one of those little things we do for ourselves. I ADORE your comment. xo

holtkamp said...

that's a really interesting fact! i'll have to keep that in mind next time i start something new. best wishes with your meditation goal :)

Joni James said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog today!
I am working on mastering my art. Particularly my illustrations and screen printing them onto fabric. I've got a loooong way to go considering I'm only in the 100's but I do agree with the concept that things evolve and get better with time. And age! ;)

Amber said...

whoa thats a long time.

Diana Mieczan said...

holtkamp, thanks so much!

laurenjeanallece said...

This is brilliant! Such an important thing to keep in mind when it's so easy to be hard on ourselves!

You always have the neatest things on your blog to ponder throughout the day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk