Venice of the Netherlands

Thursday, May 31, 2012
The other day, Shoko wrote about this little Dutch village and I utterly fell in love with it. It's called Giethoorn and it's one of those rare birds that doesn't come around too often. Listen to that, the whole village is connected by a water canal system instead of actual roads so the locals commute daily by boats, kayaks or canoes. How brilliant! I’d love to take a trip there and wander around the little paths, spend evenings on the boat staring at the stars and greet my neighbours with a friendly hoi while passing by each morning.

Lovelies, have you ever heard of this place? Would you fancy going there? xo

P.S: More swoon-worthy travel spots, including this gem in Scotland.

(Photos via All That Is Interesting)

15 comments:

Vera Elisabeth said...

Hoi ;-), I live in The Netherlands, but I've never been there. It sounds almost not true (no roads, really?), but I'll believe you (and Wikipedia). This place goes on my must visit list!

Patricia Villamil said...

absolutely mesmerizing, would love to visit too.

Diana Mieczan said...

How awesome that you are from The Netherlands, Vera!!! You should totally visit it.

Diana Mieczan said...

Patricia, that is such a good word to describe it - "mesmerizing"

Chapstick Fanatic said...

oooh it is so magical looking! i would love to visit there.

http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

kishipsa said...

wow it looks unbelievable ;)
It has to be fun living so close to the river or the water canal :D

Natasha Fatah said...

I used to live in the Netherlands, but I don't think I've ever been to this place. It looks so magical!

xoxo
~Natasha Fatah~
~Natasha Fatah~

Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

this place looks a MILLION times better then Venice - i was not impressed when i was there - but this place, i'm gonna look up this place for a vacay

Diana Mieczan said...

kishipsa, we live by a river and it's really lovely but a water canal like this would be totally perfect.

Diana Mieczan said...

Did you really, Natasha? How FUN!

thingsIlove said...

Hi Diana,

I'm from the Netherlands but I've never been to Giethoorn. Maybe I will go to that lovely place this summer. You inspired me :D

thingsIlove said...

p.s. I live in Overijssel (the province of Giethoorn). Google Deventer, think you will like it too.

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohh fantastic, thingsIlove:) Btw: I am checking it out right now. Thanks SO much!

Kristina said...

never heard of this place, but it looks fantastic. I have to start to keep a list with all the gems you introduce us to!! thanks! xx

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww you are so sweet, Kristina:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk