Saving Leftover Wine

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How about a little trick for when you want to save some leftover wine from your last night's dinner party but without compromising on the taste? It's a risky business but totally doable. (The cork just doesn't cut it as the wine gets bad in a day or two).

So, a few days ago I tested Amanda's jar trick and it's really spot on. Here is how it goes: to keep the wine fresh in taste, top up your leftovers in a sealable container and make sure you fill it just a little too full - in a way that some wine should spill while you're covering the container. Close it tight, wipe it off and this way you've got an air-tight jar of wine that will last in the fridge for up to a week.

Lovelies, do you drink wine? What’s your favourite? How do you save your leftover wine? Have you tried this trick before? Any others you’d like to share?

P.S: Stay tuned for a snazzy Mother's Day giveaway!!!
P.P.S: And here are a few cool gems for wine lovers.

(Top photo of Michèle by Garance Doré & the photo collage by James Ransom for Food52)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian and I try to have a glass of red wine with out dinner every night so one bottle usually lasts us for 2-3 days. I'm going to my kitchen right now to do this. Thank you, he will be so impressed with me. Ha! Cheers, Grace.

Ana Degenaar said...

I really need to do this. There's always left over wine in my home. Sigh.

marissa at the boot said...

um...YES! we always have leftover wine since it's so cheap here and i never know what to do with the leftovers. thanks diana!

Jess said...

Very cool trick! We end up using our leftovers for cooking, but I might try this idea next time!

Diana Mieczan said...

Fantastic, Grace! We also try to have a bit of wine with dinner - A little treat.

Diana Mieczan said...

You are very welcome, Marissa:) Btw: I love Italian wine...

HiLLjO said...

How awesome! I have a vacuum set that I use and I love that, too.

Diana said...

What a great idea!!! We actually had a bottle of wine from six years ago that went bad...it didnt smell too good when we opened it again! ;)

Diana Mieczan said...

Vacuum set, HiLLjO? I need to check this one out...

Diana Mieczan said...

Di, oh yes! Wine goes bad very fast...

Monica | Hola!design said...

Very clever! I never know what to do with the leftovers so I always end up drinking the whole thing (ha, kidding!).
Very useful trick, thanks D!

laurenjeanallece said...

My dad actually invented a wine preserver product called Private Preserve that's been on the market for 26 years... It's an aerosol can that puts a "blanket" of carbon dioxide, nitrogen & argon (similar to what's used in bottling wine) that pushes the oxygen out of the bottle to prevent it from spoiling. You can keep wine open for days, weeks, even months! (though it rarely sticks around that long in my house, haha)

LyddieGal said...

what a clever trick!
but you will still have to drink what ever doesn't fit in the mason jar ;)
Chic on the Cheap

TheChambrayCountess said...

Wow, I had no idea you could save wine like that!! Wine doesn't last long in my house, but I will definitely try this trick if it ever does :)

Annie said...

great tip!! xo

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Monica:))

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh my goodness, that is SO cool, Lauren!!! I am so getting it. Thank you so much:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk