Off-Season Holiday

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Brittany and her husband Paul love to travel but like most of us, they're not too keen on the huge costs! So, they decided to find the cheapest way to feed their travel-bug. Their solution - travel off-peak time! Brilliant, don’t you think?

They are the first ones to admit that the cold weather can get to you at times, but that is exactly why they made a list full of suggestions that will make even the coldest trips more enjoyable and less painful.  

As for me, I think that is a great compromise for those who love to explore new cities (like Balazs and I)  and are willing to compromise on a few little things, like the cold. (And to be honest most cities are equally or even more beautiful in the snow or rain).

Here are three of Brittany's tips that I bookmarked for myself. They will make the travelling in cold worth-while:

* as travelling in the cooler weather requires a bit more preparation (you don’t want to get lost in the cold street looking for something for hours), you should always make an itinerary and try to plan things close together, so you are outside as little as possible.

* cafés are always your friend. You should map out a few that you like and always keep them in mind for a quick stop to warm up, relax and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate.

* warm clothes, hand-warmers and tons of layering is a must to spend whole days exploring the new city. In this case it's all about staying warm and not necessarily looking stylish :)

Darlings, would you ever travel in the off-peak season? Did you? Any of you are planning a March trip? What do you think about Brittany's tips? Do you have any that you would like to add to the list?

(Top photo by Vladimir Kostromitsky via Brittany, Paris via Pinterest, NYC by Stefan Georgi via Blog Milk, Berlin by Travel + Leisure, Val di Funes, Italy by Matt Burke via Monica)

24 comments:

Dancing Branflake said...

I have always wanted to travel to many of the beautiful places I have gone, but do so in the winter when there are less people and more locals about. That last photo of Italy is my idea of paradise. Goodness!

Dancing Branflake said...

Ha, I mean less tourists. Not people. Oh dear.

Justine said...

I would travel any time of the year! I think you could get a real feel for the city being there during off season because most of the tourists are gone.

Alexa said...

Matt and I did that in Europe...and yes it was cold, but we loved stopping in little cute cafes all of the time. I mean that's part of the fun, isn't it?

Hannah said...

I'd DEFINITELY travel in the cold, if it really is that much more affordable. Will have to start researching that!

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany, great point. Less tourists for sure and because of that you can really get the proper feel of the city!

Diana Mieczan said...

Justine, so true!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Alexa. When Balazs and I went to Venice we found 5 different cafés that we adored. So each morning we would plan our day around those spots. It was March, so a little warm break in a café was exactly what we needed every few hours.

Christianna said...

I'm traveling at peak season this year, but I'm looking forward to some off season travels next year. I need to see the world but I'm not made of money. Her tips are wonderful!

HiLLjO said...

We would SOOOO winter travel! OMG what great idea!

laurenjeanallece said...

Those tips are perfect! In 2005 I traveled through Europe between September & December and it was wonderful! No lines at museums! No waiting at restaurants! Cheaper flights!

Now I want to plan a trip somewhere...

Punctuation Mark said...

i prefer winter travel despite the weather... i feel people are friendlier... haha!

holtkamp said...

we love to travel in off peak seasons - less tourists :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Fantastic, holtkamp and Punctuation Mark, how interesting!

Diana Mieczan said...

Lauren, you had to have so much fun...Btw: I also want to plan a trip right now..haha

Kristina said...

I normally travel in shoulder seasons to save some money. Most of the time we have been lucky with the weather, but when we were in Costa Rica it was almost drizzling / raining nonstop for 3 weeks. So in the end I was laying at the beach in drizzling (at least warm) rain :) Ha! So I think for city trips off-season travel is alright, but when visiting places where most of the things are outdoor (like Costa Rica) the weather should be nice and warm :)

Vintage Market Place said...

I would since I love an miss cold weather so much.
It would be a happy vacation for me to experience winter in a new location.
The thought of layers and getting lost in the cold is okay with me ;)
Amy

Margaret of journeycontrol said...

I loved traveling in the off-season. What I might recommend is straddling the off-season and the spring season. We started in Western Europe (more expensive, but cheaper in the off season) and ended in Eastern Europe (which is typically cheaper) so we managed to save a good chunk of money. Just make sure to pack a heavy coat and warm accessories!

Diana Mieczan said...

That is such a great point, Kristina! It's totally up to the location.

Diana Mieczan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana Mieczan said...

Margaret, thanks so much for your tips. Fantastic!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, I LOVE your comment! You totally should go to Europe during December. They have the most charming Christmas markets. (And the most delicious hot wine). hahah

beautifullifeandstyle.com said...

I love this post! I have been to Bolzano (near the last picture) and it actually looks like that in summer as well- and still very few tourists! I think even better than just traveling in the winter to avoid costs/crowds is to find a destination off the beaten path to get a truly genuine local experience.

Mara said...

I traveled to Paris and London right after Thanksgiving and it was the best time to go! No lines. I literally walked right into the Louve. Plus Paris had Christmas lights up already. It was wonderful

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk