Green Wall in Paris

Wednesday, March 21, 2012


Crikey, when I thought that Paris couldn’t possibly get any cooler, I saw this building and my head started spinning. This 'living wall' is a part of the office wing of the Musée du Quai Branly in Paris. The designer's goal was to allow both the plants and the building to live in harmony with one another. I’ve always dreamed of living in a flat building covered in ivy. Somehow that seems totally romantic to me.

Fun fact: did you know that Paris is incredibly eco-friendly? They are 10th on the list of greenest European cities. Impressive, isn’t it? Also, I read that a living wall like that improves the air quality immensely. Go Paris! xo

P.S: Here is a great NY Times article on eco-Paris and here is another awesome Parisian green wall.
P.P.S: A super snazzy GIVEAWAY Wednesday is coming up!

(Top photo by Lucas Dolega via NY Times, Inhabitat, Greening Beauty, Treehugger, Anthesis)

20 comments:

Cara said...

I always wanted an old house covered in Ivy too!!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Gorgeous!
I love love that you used the word crikey :)

Sage Crown Parker said...

very cool!
i would love to see them water it :)
xoxo

Diana Mieczan said...

Dreamy, Cara:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Jeanette. It's totally after my mom:)

FourJedis said...

That is beautiful. I want my house to be like that. I can't even keep a single herb garden alive though.

Inés said...

Diana, I went to Paris two years ago, and they were just instaling the greenery, it looked promising...now I can see it becomes a real vertical garden and looks amazing...(I can´t deal with horizontal little,tiny gardens...to me, geenery is a mystery...)
Big hugs!
Inés

SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

Jes said...

i love this!!!
it's perfect for spring.
and it is so paris.
xx jes

HiLLjO said...

so lush and pretty!

Self-Dressed said...

ooooh! love green! this post is so positive!

xoxo
http://self-dressed.blogspot.com

Christianna said...

Wow, this is so fun to look at! I bet it's really crazy awesome to see in person. Too bad Paris isn't on my list of places to visit this summer...

Justine said...

ah! so beautiful! I definitely need to add this to my must see list in paris.

rebecca said...

I'm with sage. I was thinking how you get it watered?! lovely.

laurenjeanallece said...

How cool! One of my friend is talking about trying to do a living wall at her house, I'm sending her the link to your page!

Hogger and Co. said...

There is a green wall like that in an office in Toronto, too. It's indoors however and not at such a grand scale:

http://www.robertsonbuilding.com/about

Diana Mieczan said...

Rebecca and Sage, I think there is a watering system installed between the plants and the building wall that waters them from under. I'm not totally sure but I'm going to check it out as I am super curious about it now..haha..Such a good point, girls:)

Diana Mieczan said...

That is so cool, Lauren! She totally should try it.

Diana Mieczan said...

FourJedis, I know what you mean. I totally want my flat-building to look like that too.

Peaches said...

Patrick designed a vertical garden at my high school in San Francisco.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

this is amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk