Thoughts On Motherhood

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Yesterday, Gabriella wrote about this amazing project on motherhood called MAMA: Motherhood Around The World and even though I'm not a mom yet, I was glued to the website for a good few hours reading the incredibly compelling stories of women from all around the world. They are all in different age, from totally different backgrounds and cultural believes, the one common subject they have is motherhood.

After watching this video, I immediately started to think about the posts I wrote on babies and age, remember them? I loved our honest conversation about the subject. I remember being moved to tears by some of the comments and emails I received from moms-to-be or those who couldn’t have babies, those who adopted or planning to and even those who are not sure if they want to have children.

I believe that we all should have a choice of if, how, when, and how many. What I adore about this project is that it addresses those points even deeper in a form of challenging us to think of how many women in the world actually have an opportunity to decide if, how, and when to create a family and what are the reasons women choose motherhood.

I truly recommend making yourself a nice hot cuppa and checking out the project but in the meantime, do tell: Are you ready to be a mom? Are you planning to have a baby this year? Do you have kiddos already? Do you have a plan or you'd rather be surprised? Or maybe motherhood is not something you see yourself in? xo

(As previously, if you don’t feel comfortable talking about it, you can always leave your comment anonymously)

P.S: If you haven't already, you should totally read Jenny's unexpected birth story from a couple of years ago. Incredible!

(via Design Mom. Photos via Tara, IMOW, Keith Davis Young, The-ILL, Wilmahathaway)

17 comments:

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

Ahh, I adore children.
They make life more beautiful and happy. Off to read the stories on Motherhood. Have a sweet day;-)

Sara Szatmary said...

Lovely stuff. The idea of motherhood gives me butterflies. It's such an exciting possibility for my future. It's so sad to think that the personal decision to bring life into this world/care for child isn't a loving decision made by two people.

Kat La Decoradora Vintage said...

Dear Diana,no plan now but in the future... babies yes ,yes,yes

MAMA is a great project!!!

big kiss

SmartBear said...

I have "just one" and he is more than enough. Motherhood is like a roller coaster all wonderful and amazing and scary and teeth gritting at the same time.
Can't wait to check out this project. Very cool.
On a side note...I just adore the Paul and Linda photos floating around lately.
Best,
Tina

Designwali said...

ya I'm a baby mama. Sure it drives me mad sometimes and you always have the 'mommy guilt' attached to your hip...but I wouldn't be who I am now without my kids. They are my world and more importnatly, they have changed the way I see the world. Checking out this project now. thanks for sharing.

Diana Mieczan said...

Sara this is so sweet - "The idea of motherhood gives me butterflies." (I feel the same way)

Diana Mieczan said...

Tina, love with you said and that photo of Paul and Linda simply melts my heart.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were trying for a baby for the past 5 years but just last month we finally decided that it is time to look into adoption as it seems to be the only way for us right now. Truthly, I am relieved and ready to be a mama to some adorable baby out there. Diana, when are you planning to have a baby? Kate

Ana Degenaar said...

I love being a mom. I would not have it any other way. I want to have more kids in the future. motherhood is such a life-changing experience.

amy b.s. said...

i'm excited to read all of this. as an expecting mom, i admittedly am still not sure i'm ready. but come may, i'm going to be!

Anonymous said...

The video you posted brought me to tears. Wonderful project and I am very happy that you shared it with us. I'm almost 3 months pregnant and I am over the moon happy. Off to read the webpage. Thank you, Diana. Ola

Mary Jo at TrustYourStyle said...

This looks so sweet! Yes I think about it not sure if it's going to be part of the grand scheme of things but I'd love it if it was.

xo Mary Jo

Megkathleen said...

What a lovely project! I'm dying to be a mama. I like what Sara said as well - the thought gives me butterflies! I've been trying for what seems like forever although it hasn't quite been a year yet. But still so excited for what the future will bring.

Punctuation Mark said...

this is such an amazing project! motherhood is one of those things people ask you all the time... All i know is that i don't want to do it alone and if i don't have the financial situation to provide for the child

Diana Mieczan said...

Designwali, I love your comment. You are so wonderful:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohh Kate, you will be an amazing mommy for sure! My heart goes out to you. Btw: we are planning a baby in the next few years but not totally sure when yet.

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..Ola, huge congrats!!! I am so happy for you:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk