Through A Mother’s Eyes

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Oh boy, JR never ceases to amaze me. This time this incredibly talented French artist took to the streets of Bronx. He paired up with Bronx's Hunts Point Alliance for Children for a community project called "Through a Mother's Eyes" which turned out brilliantly, as expected.

Their concept was to create a very large installation involving mothers and grandmothers (the pillars of the community). They asked a group of women in the neighbourhood to pose for photos which later became the masks that the other locals were photographed with. By covering their own eyes with the masks they are seeing the world through those women's eyes. Aren’t those pieces genius?

P.S: Another of his projects that I adore - women are heroes!
P.P.S: And this mural makes me emotional each time I look at it.

(via The New York Times)

11 comments:

HiLLjO said...

'Scuse my language but I f*cking love this kind of art. I have this compartment in my brain of "useless conceptual art" and "brilliant conceptual art."

Guess which one this is filed under?


PS: Things all eventually get re-filed into "brilliant;" I just have to understand them first. ;o)
PPS: Marcel Du Champ's urinal will never be in the "brilliant" file. Hmmph.

Vintage Market Place said...

love the thought of this!
very cool
Amy

Melissa Blake said...

This is awesome!!! The meaning behind it is so beautiful.

p.s. did my email ever go through? :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..so glad that you like it, HiLLjO. JR is one of my favourite street-artists.

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh, no I didn't. Please, resend it, Melissa.

Hogger and Co. said...

Some of it pretty scary, but I love it all the same.
Need places in NYC to check out when I visit next month.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Sonja said...

These are incredible!!! thanks for sharing!
his work is really beautiful!

Sonja said...

I got to see some ruminants of his work in Rio this summer. :o)
so neat

Bella @Bellgetsreal said...

The little girl is hilarious.

Diana Mieczan said...

How fun that you are going to NYC, Smita!

Diana Mieczan said...

Sonja, you are such a lucky girl.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk