Keep The Greens

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Here's a little tip to get more out of healthy greens for your money, especially during winter. While shopping for a bunch of beets or any leafy-end veggies never ask the vendor to cut off the greens from your beets. Apparently, after you clean and steam them for a minute in salted boiling water, you can whip up a healthy and delicious bruschetta base for dinner without spending extra pennies! Just add a bit of grilled Gruyère cheese and top it off with a poached egg - voilà! Who would have thought? I'm so guilty of throwing those green-ends out. How about you? xo

P.S: Here is the full recipe for the beet greens bruschetta with cheese and poached egg.
P.P.S: Poached egg trick and I made this for late dinner last night.

(Thanks, Martha Rose)

18 comments:

Zondra Art said...

Looks really nice and taste!

Have a nice day Diane, kisses:)

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

I love a good dish of vegetables;-)

The Franglaise said...

It is noon here so this post is literally making me hungry! xx

ps: i need to learn how to cook poached eggs!

The Favour Shoppe said...

YUM!

Cara said...

You had me at "gruyere"

Anonymous said...

That is such a good tip. I'm going to remember it when I go shopping tomorrow morning. Thanks, love, Amy

Stephanie said...

What a great idea!! I'm not a bit beet person though... I wonder if you could do the same thing with radish greens? Anyone know??

Hogger and Co. said...

Really? With beet leaves? Who knew? I always get rid of them at the grocery store. Thanks for the retweet for my photoblog nomination!

Anonymous said...

Diana this is mouth waterin. Genius tip, thanks.

Also,Stephanie, I am sure you can use radish greens instead. Grace xo

amy b.s. said...

this photo makes me want to go back home and just eat!

HiLLjO said...

That looks REALLY good! I've been more into greens lately: mustard greens and collard greens are delicious sauteed!

Diana Mieczan said...

Carine, since I learned how to do them, I'm obsessed:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Great, Amy and Stephanie, you should totally try it with radish greens.

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Amy!

Monica | Hola!design said...

i love poached eggs! I'm going to try and make one myself! Like Julia Child said: "The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you’ve got to have a what-the-hell attitude."

LyddieGal said...

that looks so delish! I'd go for one right now... i adore poached eggs.

Chic on the Cheap

Diana Mieczan said...

That is such a brilliant quote, Monica! I love it!

Annie said...

this looks heavenly!! xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk