The Decorated Bride

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crikey, in a tiny Lubinje village, not far from the capital of Kosovo, members of the Trebesh community believe in "beautifying brides on their wedding day"

Their tradition says that every bride must have their faces decorated meticulously and exquisitely, while their bodies are covered with five layers of traditional handmade clothing and accessories. The process is important for their cultural believes as well as incredibly spiritual. They believe that the whole rite is vital in protecting the new bride from the "evil eye, and discourages gossip and speculation." So interesting, isn't it?

There is also a whole ritual of how the bride is presented to the future family and her new home. Upon arrival in the future husband's home "the bride has to stand inside a room flanked by her husband's mother and sister, who attends to the new bride's every need. Meanwhile, the entire village visits in order to see and welcome the bride into the community."

I find this incredibly moving and beautiful. I love to see people being dedicated to their tradition. Darlings, what are your thoughts on it? She almost looks like a life-size porcelain doll, don't you think? xo

P.S: If you have a few minutes to spare, check out the video below. It will blow your mind! Amazing.

(via my love for you via Imprint via Kosovo 2.0)

19 comments:

Christianna said...

Wow, that is so pretty!

Dancing Branflake said...

Wow! That is so crazy! I love hearing about different bridal traditions. Seeing women being treated like princesses is always awesome.

Designwali said...

wow and I thought Indian brides got decked out...this is awesome.

HiLLjO said...

This is absolutely beautiful; she does look like a doll!
I partook in a Solah Shringar which is a Hindu Bride-Beautifying tradition. I really enjoyed it and it made me feel gorgeous.

Alexa said...

Oh my goodness this is incredible. The intricacy that goes into this is outstanding.

Sara Szatmary said...

man, really puts Vera to shame eh?

I love stuff like this. Tradition is one of the best foundations for a wedding ceremony in my opinion. This one is surely beautiful.

Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

Wow that is incredibly beautiful! What a painstaking adventure though! Can you imagine staying still long enough for the paint to dry? I can barely get my finger nails painted.

Diana Mieczan said...

Very true, Tiffany!

Diana Mieczan said...

Designwali, I love the way Indian brides look on their wedding day. So stunning!

Diana Mieczan said...

HiLLjO, how fantastic. I read about Solah Shringar before. It consists of sixteen parts, right?

amy b.s. said...

wow. this is truly amazing.

Sal {Daniel and I} said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing this - what an amazing cultural tradition. I suppose it's a little like what we westerners do but this is just very different aesthetically.

Sal x

Anonymous said...

She looks so pretty and that video gives such a great inside to the whole process. Have a nice night. Grace xo

Hogger and Co. said...

She looks doll-like. How insane is it to have all of that on your face? Would be incredible to photograph!

little t said...

You might barely recognize your bride!

Diana Mieczan said...

Sure, Sal. Glad you like it and Lisa, that is such a great point. I bet you have to be very patient that day.

Diana Mieczan said...

Well said, Sara!

Alena: Oh, It's Just Perfect! said...

Wow - that is so fascinating and beautiful. I'm going to watch the video now!

Diana Mieczan said...

Glad you like it, Alena:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk