The Modern Rules of Red Lips

Monday, November 7, 2011

Red lips are perennial and always in style – which I love! The other day my friend Sofia made me smile when she said that her husband told her that wearing a fiery red lipstick makes her look more elegant and sexy than an expensive little black dress. Interesting! So I thought today would be fun to share a few tricks I learned over the years from my friends while experimenting with red lipsticks.

* Always apply your lipstick straight from the bullet to your bottom lip and press lips together. Then fuzz lipstick with your fingers so there are no hard edges for an even yet not overly perfect look.

* If you're too shy to rock a bright shade try putting your bold red lipstick on and then dab most of it off with a tissue for a lovely "I-just-ate-a-raspberry-popsicle" look which is not too bold but equally stunning. 

* This is from my friend Emma: if you want to give your red a great canvas, exfoliate your lips gently each night with your toothbrush after brushing your teeth.

Lovelies, what do you think about these tips? Do you wear lipstick? What are your tricks? xo

P.S: Three ways to va va voom.
P.P.S: Autumn trend: red.

(Photo via Lemonade)

24 comments:

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

Exfloliate lips by adding vaselin unto moist lips and brusg gently.

Monica from Hola!design said...

hi diana! i'm a big fan of red lips. definitely I feel more feminine when I wear red lipstick...very important to exfoliate!!!! thanks for the tips!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

I really love red lipstick, especially when I'm in a hurry and kind of have no time to do my make up. Putting on my red lipstick gives me that fully made up look without having to exert much effort.

SomeKindOfStyle said...

love red lips, they always brighten up an outfit! x

Melissa Blake said...

Not sure if I'd have the guts to rock this one!

HiLLjO said...

I love my red lipstick. Signature color for my skintone is Russian Red by MAC. LOVE!

Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

Red lips are always on my chic list. I'm always on the look out for a good red stain so that when I am looking my sexiest with my red lips, the gentleman who kisses me doesn't get painted too. Still on the search!

Christianna said...

Love Love Love red lips! Thanks for the great tips!

Alexa said...

Great tips Diana. I need to start rocking this look more often. It is so in! xo

amy b.s. said...

i'm loving the tip about dabbing most of it off because i am a bit too shy to rock it. but then again, maybe i should just go for it!

Sandy a la Mode said...

ive always been such a wimp to wear red lipstick, but i have always wanted to try it! just have to find the perfect outfit and occasion!

Marissa said...

A makeup artist at Bloomingdale's once told me to do the same thing with my toothbrush. I have a great red lipstick, but I'm usually too shy to leave the house with it. I always end up dabbing most of it off for that stained look you mention.

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally agree, Fashion, Art and other fancies! Vaseline is perfect. I use it all the time but now Im going to try your way and use it onto moist lips.

Diana Mieczan said...

ChinkyGirLMeL, yes! That is what I love about it as well. It's an instant va va voom:) And Russian Red by MAC is fantastic, HiLLjO. My friend Emma is crazy about that shade as well:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..Lisa I love your comment and Im so happy that you all like the tips:)

Krystal said...

I just tried red lipstick finally for the first time this w/e, i love it :)

Rilla Weasley said...

I'm never positive what I think about red lipstick. I like it on others, but not so much on my self. I have a new post, come have a look?
xxx

Krissy :: Miss B and Hustle said...

I've never been able to pull off red, but I have rocked hot pink lately and I love it!

Hogger & Co. said...

I always do the toothbrush trick! :)

Stephanie said...

Ooh, I need to start trying the toothbrush thing! I barely wear actual lipstick because I always feel like my lips aren't smooth enough.

blue moss said...

thanks for the tips...now if i could just find a red that looks right on me....
:)
michelle

Diana Mieczan said...

Fantastic, Krystal and Stephanie, the toothbrush trick will help with that:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Blue moss, Bobbi Brown has a fantastic shades collection that you might like.

Here is the link:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P270541&om_mmc=cse-Shopzilla&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=22-181107636-2

TheChambrayCountess said...

Sometimes I wear lipstick and sometimes I don't, but I love a bold red lip now and again-- it's like the perfect statement accessory for any outfit!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk