How to Cook Magnificent Mac and Cheese

Thursday, November 17, 2011

I think it's safe to say that mac & cheese is not only for kids, right? The other day I spotted Ina Garten's awesome take on the adultified version of this creamy, crunchy, oven-baked dish that I simply can't resist. So here are her rules to a magnificent and mouthwatering meal:

* Use a type of pasta that the cheese sauce can cling to (like corkscrew-shaped fusilli or cavatappi) or good old elbow macaroni.
* Use a combination of Gruyére and aged Cheddar cheese for the dish.
* Blanket the pasta with real breadcrumbs and (always) a layer of thin tomato slices.

And in Ina's words:  If you don't like macaroni and cheese, you don't know how to have a good time. (Giggle). Darlings, when was the last time you had some good and comforting mac & cheese? (For me it seems like ages ago). xo

P.S: Here is the full recipe.

(Photo by Ditte Isager)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Ina and I'm going to try her trick with the tomato slices. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks, Diana.
Love, Amy

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

I love this dish in winter;-)

Paul & Paula ★ said...

oh yum.... the moment my diet is over i am gonna make this... haha :)

Ri(t)ch Styles said...

Just 2 days ago!! And my cravings weren't satisfied by one serving that I had to call for another ;)

xoxoxo
Ritcha

STYLE'N said...

you're right...it's not just for kiddos..I love it! And I love anything and everything by Ina. This is a great recipe to try. Thanks for sharing Diana.

Julie and Lauren said...

This looks absolutely delicious and won't make me feel as guilty since there are tomatoes included ; )

Diana Mieczan said...

Ritcha, after your comment, I want to make some mac&cheese tonight:) YUM!

Diana Mieczan said...

Naina, she is brilliant isn't she?

Stephanie said...

That looks SO good. My mom makes a similar mac and cheese, but instead of tomatoes on the mac and cheese we have stewed tomatoes on the side. I'm tempted to try it this way though!

Zondra Art said...

Delicious! I feel hungry looking at your photo, I better go and have some lunch!:)
Have a great day!

Dancing Branflake said...

I use her recipe at least once a month and it's always a homerun with my guests.

amy b.s. said...

this is definitely going on my list of things to make. yum!

Johanna said...

Woah...I have to make this! Thanks for sharing!

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Ooh i like the two cheese combination and tomatoes! So true - Mac 'n cheese lovers know how to have fun!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Vintage Market Place said...

dang, now if I only had someone to make some for me ;)
Amy

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Amy and Tiffany, she really has some amazing recipes. We have a few favourites as well.

Diana Mieczan said...

That sounds really good as well, Stephanie. I'm going to try it both ways:)

shopgirl said...

I do the same thing as Ina in regards to using a type of pasta in which the sauce and cheese will cling to. I, also, touch up everything with cheese and breadcrumbs for any pasta dish that goes into the oven. So all around great advice! It has been a while since my last mac and cheese...definitely going to have to make it soon!

Thanks Diana! Big hugs!

Reese
http://rambleswithreese.etsy.com
http://rambleswithreese.blogspot.com

http://moderngirl.jurna.ro/ said...

Wow, looks yummy!!! I would like to give it a try! Thanks!

TheChambrayCountess said...

Umm, YUM!! I just got into homemade mac and cheese in the past year, so new ideas are always great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk