Desperately Perfect - Ballet

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ballerinas have the incredible ability to capture emotions and move us to tears with their talent and artistic expression through movement. Let’s face it; we only see little glimpses of this incredibly trying yet astonishing profession. The photographs above are part of a project by Rachel Papo entitled "Desperatly Perfect".

Here is how she describes the concept: This project is a look into the lives of a group of adolescents who, in their hope for a better life, spend the majority of their youth in fierce competition. These images emphasize the emotional side of these children’s uncompromising reality. They stretch their bodies further every day, desperate to stand out, while constantly being encouraged by their instructors to be uniform - identical to one another. Engaged in endless repetition of physical phrases, these students obsessively strive for a level of perfection that is always out of reach."

To me, all those photographs express true and raw emotions and heartache. It's truly touching to see the dedication those kids have but it's also totally heartbreaking how much pressure they are under each day. Lovelies, what are your thoughts? xo

P:S: The very brutal side and the very beautiful side of ballet.
P.P.S: Ballerina's legs.

(Thanks Mandy)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredible post, Diana. It gave me goosebumps. I watched both of the videos you linked and I got teary eye while watching the first one. What a dedication! They have such a strength, don't they?
Love, Amy

Zondra Art said...

I love ballerinas!
Kisses.

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Ballerinas display such admirable strength,agility, and beauty!

Kristin H said...

Made me think of the Degas exhibit that I should try to get too at the Royal Academy. Can you imagine that in old France they called the dancers "Rats" with all the beauty and all their hard work...

Michelle said...

I could read about/watch/look at pictures of ballerinas all day. So breathtaking.

marissa at the boot said...

i have so much to say on this subject - since i did ballet from age 5-18. i had a "mean" pointe teacher who reprimanded us constantly and most of us were terrified of her, but felt so good when we did something she liked. another was so sweet and we all thought of her as our second mom basically, but i never felt that glorious triumphant feeling with her when i accomplished a step, as with the mean teacher. looking back on it now though, i'm glad i got to experience both sides of the coin!

Diana Mieczan said...

Me too, Amy! That first video is so sad and heartbreaking.

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh my goodness, did they really, Kristin? That is so upsetting!

Diana Mieczan said...

Marissa, that is really interesting. I always felt the same about my teachers at school. It's funny how our mind works, isn't it? Glad you had the chance to experience both worlds.

Dancing Branflake said...

Oh, this post speaks straight to my heart. Honestly? I think almost all my character flaws and strengths come from my early ballet training. I am way overanalytical and obsessive but also am very disciplined so even though ballet puts you through the ringer I would not trade my experiences for the world.

But, yes, it is only for the strong.

Patricia Villamil said...

A bittersweet reality, they pin all their dreams into one basket. As parents we should never let that be the case for our children.

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

nice post and it's all too true... that 3rd picture is really beautiful, i like how it creates a pattern.

dianne @ icefloe said...

I think I'm the only girl I know who never did ballet growing up (i had a pony, lucked out there) and I kinda wish I did, i love this imagery!

Annie said...

awww I just love these image.. i miss ballet

Amber Blue Bird said...

I love ballet and would have loved to have taken a class in it but the dedication thats involved is intense.

alishka babushka said...

As a ballerina myself, I appreciate this a lot. Ballet takes SO MUCH dedication and it is not for the faint of heart. Love this!

shopgirl said...

I love ballet and would love to have learned it...

Reese
http://rambleswithreese.etsy.com
http://rambleswithreese.blogspot.com

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany, I LOVE your comment. I was actually thinking about you after I wrote this post.

Diana Mieczan said...

Very true, Alishka and how wonderful that you are a ballerina.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk