Bivouacking On The Edge Of A Mountain

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Holy smoke! Recently I read that mountaineers get a huge thrill of bivouacking which is pretty much sleeping while being suspended in the air. While climbing for days with no solid ground under them they simply don’t have a choice but to set up their night shelters while hanging in the air. Crazy, right?

Supposedly, there is a whole routine that goes into it. Something that really stuck with me was what Yvon Chouinard, a famous rock climber said about it: " For me the most fun of climbing was bivouacking: getting up on a wall and sleeping in god-awful conditions, in hammocks or just hanging from your ropes all night trying to sleep. You really get into the rhythm of the wall. It’s all about the process, not the goal.”

How interesting and brave, don’t you think? Just looking at those photos makes my knees wobble. xo

P.S: A beautiful Wednesday GIVEAWAY is coming up!
P.P.S: Cliffhanger.

(Photos via Patagonia’s Holiday catalog via A well traveled woman)

19 comments:

Kristin H said...

Oh, my!!! I can tell you right now I would never do it... but not surprised if my sister would... she is a dare devil. I am sure it is amazing for the once that does!!!

BlondeMuse said...

Oh no, you never get me in those things :D

xo

Roselie said...

My goodness,this is amazingly terrifingly awesome!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Kristin, I'm way too scared as well and Roselie, totally agree:)

Patricia said...

This is scary. It reminds me of that 60 Minutes interview the other Sunday with that young guy who climbs mountains WITHOUT any rope or cables. It's called free solo. Here's the link, http://gizmodo.com/5845915/60-minutes-shows-how-to-film-a-free-solo-mountain-climber-thousands-of-feet-in-the-air

Stephanie said...

Umm... Yeah, I'm getting dizzy just looking at those photos!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Btw: Probably, I wouldn't be able to even sit on those hanging hammocks..hahah. I'm totally terrified of heights.

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh my goodness, thanks for the link, Patricia. I'm going to check it our right now. That sounds incredible!

Hannah Q. Parris said...

Amazing, and completely terrifying...I'll just look at the pictures rather than try it myself :)

Ms. Givens said...

No thanks, no way, no how!

bicocacolors said...

que vértigo!!!!

Elle Sees said...

No thank you! Too scary.

Alexa said...

This is insane. No way for me. Ha.

HOGGER & Co. said...

Excuse me while I pull my jaw off the ground....
ahem...


WOW!

Samantha said...

Not for me. I toss and turn way too much.

Diana Mieczan said...

Hahah..Smita, your comment made my laugh out loud:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Samantha, me too!

mountain climbing rope said...

Mountain climbing or Rock climbing may be a dangerous activity, but with the help of proper training and good mountain climbing gear your risk can be minimised to a great extent.

mountain climbing rope said...

Mountain climbing or Rock climbing may be a dangerous activity, but with the help of proper training and good mountain climbing gear your risk can be minimised to a great extent.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk