What makes a happy marriage?

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The other day I read a very interesting article written by Tim. His daughter recently got married and like most fathers, he wanted to ensure that the newlyweds know what they sign up for, so he made a list of 45 steps to a happy marriage. I thought I would share a few totally hilarious but equally true points that made me laugh out loud and melted my heart at the same time. Remember this is from a man's perspective:

- Write this into your wedding vows: "I promise to faithfully replace the toilet paper whenever I use the last of it."

- Want to get lucky tonight? Do a load of laundry, start to finish.

- Argue naked. It's guaranteed to keep a minor disagreement from turning into a big fight.

- To keep your marriage brimming / with love in the wedding cup / whenever you're wrong, admit it / whenever you're right, shut up!

My Lovelies, what do you think? Do you agree or disagree? What makes a well-balanced relationship/marriage in your opinion? xo

P.S: I’m planning to embrace this one more from now on: Make dinner together. Eat dinner together. Go to bed together.”
P.P.S: Here is the rest of them.

(via Checks and Spots, top photo unknown, bottom by Elisa Mendes)

28 comments:

Alexa said...

Such great things to keep in mind for a marriage. Snuggle together. :)
xo

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

i love these! how fun :) we always try to cook, eat and sleep together. off to check out the other steps! xo

Dancing Branflake said...

These are such cute ideas! I haven't made dinner with the husband in a really long time. We need to go back to that!

Sara Szatmary said...

Great advice! Not just for married people, but all us in relationships.

Diana Mieczan said...

Very true, Sara and Tiffany, I'm planning to help out with cooking tonight:) Should be fun.

Tish said...

The naked one is too funny...but what if you get a jerk who starts nit picking your cellulite? Could blow the heck up!

I sent these to my married buddies. Good tickles for the morning read.

Nicole Jeannette said...

I think it's important to have some unplugged (no distractions) appreciation time. I think people need to encourage their spouse about what they do well and build them up verbally and intentionally.

Diana Mieczan said...

Nicole, I really like what you said. Appreciation time is so important.

Amber Blue Bird said...

the secret to a happy marriage is to be married to me :)

Liesl said...

Ha ha...love these! I shall keep them all in mind too! Thankfully, we both always replace the toilet paper rolls when they are done...so we are off to a good pre-marriage start! LOL!

Liesl :)

Stephanie said...

Haha, I like this one:

- If your dog gets more snuggle time in bed with your wife than you do, you're in trouble.

That being said, on lazy Sunday mornings all three of us (husband, puppy and me) all snuggle in bed together for an hour or so before we get up. It's a pretty fantastic way to start the day. :-)

Diana Mieczan said...

It sounds like an awesome way to start a day, Stephanie:) You guys are so cute!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Hahah...Liesl, that is a good start for sure:) And Amber, haha..you are fantastic, sweetie! I am so going to use your line on Balazs..hahah

HiLLjO said...

You have to take time to recognize what the other person does for you instead of focusing on what you do for them; if you're only keeping score you can't truly care for the other person as you should be. You have a lifetime to settle the score and call it even...

STYLE'N said...

I don't think my last message worked...anyway love the advice here and especially the laundry comment!

silvergirl said...

thanks for sharing
i emailed the article to several friends!
brett

Hannah J. Holmes said...

Amber Blue Bird's comment made me laugh :)

Melissa Blake said...

these are awesome, diana! i think communication is key. listening and respecting the other person too!

Lindsay @ The Everything Project said...

I need to keep these in mind for future bridal showers! they always ask us to give advice for a happy marriage!

amy b.s. said...

we try to make dinner together every night. it's definitely one of my favorite times of day.

Tanvi said...

Love the naked advice! :P Hheehe

♡ from © tanvii.com

SJ said...

i love this list. just forwarded it to lachlan :)

Kirsty said...

Awesome list!

shopgirl said...

I love this Diana! What a wonderful and wise father!

I agree with it all! :-)))

Have an awesome weekend dear! xoxo

TheChambrayCountess said...

Haha, these are so cute! I am going to look at the rest of them and bookmark it for sure :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Lindsay, that is a brilliant idea and SJ, that's great. What did he think of it?

Diana Mieczan said...

So beautiful, HiLLjO!

Annie said...

LOVE that list! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk