The Ageless Fashion Gene

Tuesday, September 6, 2011



Just across the street from my flat there is a charming old cafe with tons of history. For the last few years Balazs and I have spent there countless hours drinking coffee, eating crèmes, meeting friends and my favourite - people watching. In particular, the older ladies and gentlemen who always look incredibly glamorous and oh so posh in their vintage dresses with pearl necklaces, bow ties, big hats and matching glows, red lipstick, perfect hair and the all important pink blush on their cheeks.

There are these groups of ladies who meet regularly for a chit-chat; and men who meet to smoke cigars and play cards. To be honest each time I see them, I am so impressed and secretly hope that when I’m in my 60's, 70's or even 80's, I will be at least a fracture as stylish as they are.

So the other day I read an awesome article on the Refinery29 about photographer and the creator of the Advanced Style, Ari Seth Cohen. He walks the streets of New York looking for the most stylish and creative older folks, as he believes they can teach us a thing or two about living life to the fullest and having a great taste for fashion. Brilliant!

My grandma once told me that in the "old times" it was unheard of  for a lady to be walking on the street updone. You at least had to put a bit of lipstick on and pinch your cheeks for a "healthy rosy glow" :)

Lovelies, what an inspiration, don’t you think?  Don’t they look fantastic? Do you get inspired by your mom's or grandma's fashion sense? Did they pass on to you some great style/fashion tips? (I'd love to know). xo

(Photos by Ari Seth Cohen via Dace)

21 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

my mom is 66 and still dresses to the 9's.
She is on top of trends and fashion and loves shopping.
I think, no I know I get my love of a great purse or pair of shoes from her.
She taught me and my sister to always look put together and would sit with us as kids watching doris day, audrey hepburn and countless other movies for their fashion sense.
I just love these photos of women still "having it" at this age.
It is so weird at the looks we get as a society when we are just "dressed up" in normal everyday life.
People act weird and always ask, wow where do you work? I reply at home. I just like to put on a nice dress to feel pretty. ;)
Amy

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness, I can only hope that I look half as stylish as these ladies when I'm their age!! I love that they look fashionable without looking like they're trying to defy their age.

Alexa said...

They look amazing. I hope I can be that fashionable when I'm older!!!
xo

Mo Pie, Please said...

I had a great grandma who was a fashion queen. I totally get my taste from her, my mom tells me. Makes me happy :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Stephanie, so true! They are just naturally fashionable, aren't they?

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, what a fantastic point. Those ladies totally "having it" at this age. I also work from home and sometimes I really like to put on a sweet dress to make myself feel oh so pretty:)

Dancing Branflake said...

This just confirms to me that I need to keep my figure as I age. They all look fabulously fit!

Paul & Paula ★ said...

i love these ladies, such an inspiration!!!

Nadine2point0 said...

My paternal grandmother never came out of her bedroom without her hair, makeup, matching outfit. She was always put together and lived alone so never cared if she had an audience. I'm not really like that and sometimes chuckle about how crazy I can look while working in my studio here at home!

Steph said...

I absolutely adore this. It's like they're not even trying. They've been doing it so long, it's just their everyday look...

La Feem said...

I've been to his site before and was so impressed!! These women are incredible and I agree and wish to be anywhere close to looking like them at their age. xo

sahrish shamim said...

nice post about old family members ..love 4th lady dress...
http://fashionstyle-pk.blogspot.com/

Designwali said...

i really hope i look as stylish as this when i'm older!

Melissa Blake said...

Those women are amazing!!! :)

Amber Blue Bird said...

oh gosh i hope I am that awesome at their age.

{molly beth} said...

What a great post! I love it when I see women of all ages dressed to the 9's. They all look so classy.

xoxo.
http://alwaysamrsforeverakidd.blogspot.com

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany, those photos totally motivate me to keep fit as well and Nadine, your paternal grandmother sounds so stylish.

Diana Mieczan said...

So true, Steph! Love what you said:)

Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox said...

fabulous looking ladies!

comparing their times to ours, I think our future old ladies might not look so put together (hello, Britney Spears)

;)

Daydreamer said...

it makes me happy to see anyone dressed well, and these ladies could teach us a thing or two about putting together a look!

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

It's important to look after oneself especially after 40.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk