Five Of My Favourite Super Foods

Friday, April 16, 2010
(photo by Sang An via Oprah)
What we eat makes the person we are....I really believe that. When I have a well balanced meal full of proteins, fibre and the right amount of fats, I feel refreshed, energized and ready for the challenge (and we all have many of them throughout the day). But if for a couple of days I eat takeaways....which for me usually means fries, burger, pizza ( ohhh how much I love a TGI Burger), and of course a lot of pop and huge amounts of sweets....then I feel very weak and under-nutritioned and I actually crave salads and fruits.

About one and a half years ago Balazs and I completely reorganized our eating habits (because constant eating out really didn’t do us any favours).You know what I mean, the scale was going up and up and the mood was going down and down. For some reason when we ate out, we always opted for the fatty, greasy meals. But now we mostly eat at home. Balazs puts together a really nutritious meal each day and we make sure we have fresh fruits at home for snacking. I know that eating at home is not for everyone and believe you me, we love the whole shebang of going and having a nice meal in a nice place without dirty dished and smelly kitchen - and we still go out for dinners when we feel like having something heavier and we do go out for a coffee and a cake every day!

Since the swap, we got healthier, lighter and happier. So now I’m really careful about what I put in my mouth, but at the same time I make sure that I still have a healthy balance of eating everything I want, just in moderation.

So as you probably know, there are several super foods. Most of them are incredibly beneficial for our well-being. I would like to share with you my absolute favourites:
(photo by Getty Images via Oprah)
1. Avocado not only contains the best kind of fat (monounsaturated oleic acid) but also helps your body block the absorption of bad fats (cholesterol). They're high in lutein, which aids eyesight, and in potassium and folate, which may reduce the risk of stroke and cardiovascular disease. We usually use avocados to make delicious guacamole!
2. Blueberries are just so versatile. You can eat them as they are or put them in your healthy smoothie. It does not matter if they are fresh or frozen, blueberries have sky-high levels of antioxidants and new research suggests blueberries might protect the heart muscle from damage.
                                                     (photo by Gerry Images via Oprah)
3. Walnuts contain the most omega-3 fatty acids, which lowers (bad) cholesterol and may reduce inflammation in arteries. Walnuts are also a source of antioxidants, vitamin E, selenium, and magnesium.

4. Green Tea has huge amounts of antioxidants. It's full of a metabolism-boosting compound. I drink green tea everyday and I can tell you fist hand, it is a miracle worker.
5. Flaxseed is the richest plant source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce heart disease, strokes. Flaxseed also contains high levels of lignin, a phytoestrogen that is thought to improve cholesterol profiles and reduce the activity of oestrogen in the body. I usually add some to my morning yoghurt!

If you are passionate about what you eat or have some cool recipes to share, please let me know. I love all your emails and comments.
Before I go I would like to ask you one more question. What’s the one food item you simply can’t live without….?
For me, it’s the onion chips by Lays!

It’s Friday:)
oxoxoxo

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this list. Good for you guys! People totally underestimate how important what you eat is to your overall health. I'm loving kale right now. Despite the fact that it reminds me of feeding my guinea pigs when I was little...

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks Sarah:)
You are very sweet!
Oh...I love a kale, olive and gruyere tart. It is delicious. Have a lovely evening :)

Szilvi said...

It is a great list of food. I should eat healthier too.
I love nuts especially keshu.

Diana Mieczan said...

Hi Szilvi:)
Thanks for joining...It's very sweet of you!
Kisses:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk